Monday, January 30, 2017

Week 3: First week of classes and Booking Trips!


Monday, January 23rd

Today was the first time I visited the UPO campus, where I will be having all my classes for the rest of the semester. I had to take a Spanish placement test to see what Spanish class I would test into. I tested into intermediate one, which might not seem like a super great accomplishment since that class is middle of the road, but I was feeling pretty excited and proud. This is the farthest I have ever come when trying to learn Spanish and while I’ll never be perfect I feel like I am doing pretty well. It’s the little things in life friends. With that being said, there is still a long way to go until I would say I am close to proficient but I feel like I’m finally on the right path towards reaching that goal.

Tuesday, January 24th

Today was officially my first day of class but the rest of the CIEE student's didn’t actually start classes until Wednesday. The reason I had class today is because I am enrolled in what is called a direct enrollment class. This means that I am taking a class with Spanish students directly through the University. My other three classes are through the international center on campus and are only with international students. The class I had today was called Public International Law. The class is taught in English so it’s not too hard. It’s actually really interesting! This might be my favorite class this semester.

After I went to a make-up session regarding bystander intervention through CIEE since the original one I was going to attend was during my Public International Law class. After the presentation, I headed back to UPO (University de Pablo Olavide) for orientation where I received my classes.

So study abroad, I think most people will attest, is a mixture of really great and pretty stressful or horrible days. Tuesday was one of those stressful not so good days for me. If you know me pretty well you know that I am more type A, so when I saw my schedule, unfortunately, all my classes conflicted. Of course, it’s not that difficult to make changes but it’s time-consuming and there is always that small chance that I can’t get into another class. So after one of my longest days here where I had pretty much been out of my comfort zone all day (going to a class with no Americans and going to a training where I knew no one) I wasn’t really in the mood to deal with a crazy class schedule. But, as everything always does, I told myself things were going to work out. Oh, on top of all of that, my phone screen started to develop weird lines…you could say it was definitely just one of those days.

Wednesday, January 25th

So today was the “official” first day, but really my second day, of classes. I had a total of three classes, but I had to go to other classes and try to switch my schedule. Luckily all the classes I went to where I had to either switch to a different section or add the class, I was able too. I’ve always been pretty lucky with schedule changes so I feel very grateful the process for me was easier than it was for some other people.

My schedule looks pretty good overall. Mondays and Wednesdays I have Spanish from 12-1:20pm, then an Economics/Political Science class called “The European Union” from 1:30-2:50pm, and lastly a History of Spanish Art class from 4-5:20pm. That probably sounds late, but Spaniards eat lunch at 3:00pm so it’s a pretty typical time to have class.

On Tuesday I have the Public International Law Class from 10:30-12:30pm then a discussion group for the class from 12:30-2:00pm. I have no Thursday or Friday classes. Yes Mom and Dad, I’ll be using those days for studying and not for traveling.

Overall I feel really lucky for all the classes I have and all the opportunities I have been awarded so far with this experience. Although there have been some bumps in the road overall I’ve been very lucky and my experience has been overall really great.

Oh and as a side note I am currently applying for summer internships, while this is not Sevilla related it is semi-exciting and has been keeping me occupied over the past couple of days. Wish me luck! More details to come if the outcome is positive.

Thursday, January 26th

Today was the second day of classes. Things are starting to fall into place. I think I have my class schedule all figured out, which is exciting. I had one class today called the Global Economy but I will probably end up dropping it, unfortunately.

After classes today my friends and I went to go get coffee and discuss some travel plans. While I do love Sevilla I am really excited to get out and travel, especially now that I do not have Thursday or Friday classes.

Also, side note: the UPO cafeteria is seriously the best, which is where I am currently writing this. They have this large patio where you can sit out and do homework or just hang out. The food is so cheap and really good (you can’t beat a .90 euro coffee). Also, there is this cat, which we think is a stray, that hangs around the patio. He’s pretty cute.

Also another side note: I just have this feeling that I’m going to come back to the states and crave tapas (specifically croquetas and chocolate con churros) as well as continue my obsession with Spanish music. Shakira’s Bicicleta anyone?

Friday, January 27th

So yesterday afternoon I went with friends to a café where we were planning on booking trips to Madrid and Granada. We ended up booking a trip to Brussels for next weekend and Granada for the weekend after that. I’m so excited!

Today was pretty relaxing. I didn’t have class so I woke up later and relaxed. My friends and booked hotel for both trips. It is my host sister’s birthday today, she is turning 12! We went and got chocolate con churros, went and saw La La Land at the movie theater, and then went to dinner to celebrate. 

Saturday, January 28th

Another pretty relaxing day in Sevilla! We visited the Las Setas, a structure with a 360-degree view of Sevilla, again. Later that evening my host brother took me to the center to see a preview of Semana Santa. Semana Santa occurs in April. I'll probably be writing more about it then. 

Sunday, January 29th

We finally booked our Airbnb for Brussels! Everything is starting to come together. Today I also went to see roman ruins about ten minutes outside of Sevilla. Seeing these ruins makes me so excited to visit Italy and see the ruins there!



Roman Ruins



No comments:

Post a Comment