Monday, January 16, 2017

Week 1: Arriving, Intensive Spanish Classes, and Exploring Sevilla

As I mentioned in the previous post I arrived in Sevilla two Saturday’s ago on January 8th. I have officially completed over one week in Spain! Everything is going well and I’m loving it here! I decided I'll be posting an updated once a week on either Sunday or Monday. Here’s the breakdown of what happened this past week:

Monday, January 9th:

Monday was the day of intensive language classes! I am one of the lucky student’s who class starts bright and early at 9:00am. It takes about thirty minutes to walk to the CIEE study center from my home stay so this means pretty early mornings for me.

Tuesday, January 10th:

During class today we explored a market (el mercado) a couple of blocks from the CIEE study center. The market was really interesting! All the food looked so fresh compared to the United States.

Later that afternoon, after class, some friends and I explored the structure that was above the market called “Las Setas” which I believe means mushroom in Spanish. You can take an elevator to the top which has 360 degree views of the entire city. It’s seriously amazing. I would share a picture but my phone was still broken so I don’t have any, but if you’re curious here’s a link with more information:


That evening we had another information session at a local hotel. We talked about academics, activities in Sevilla, and adjusting to the culture. On Monday I dropped my phone off at a repair shop and I was able to pick it up after the information session. It was such a relief to have my iPhone back!

Wednesday, January 11th:

Class continued this morning from 9am-12pm. After class, we participated in a walking tour of Sevilla. We walked through the historic center and saw the Cathedral as well as the Royal Palace (El Alcázar). We weren’t able to receive a tour of both these locations during this afternoon but luckily my friends and I have tours scheduled next week through CIEE.

After the tour, a few friends and I went to go see the La Plaza de España which was only a few blocks away from where our tour ended. It was absolutely beautiful!


La Plaza de España

Later that evening the entire program of ninety-seven students met in the historic downtown for a tapas welcome dinner at La Gorda de las Setas. It was so much fun to have the group together in a relaxing setting and the food was sooo good.

Thursday, January 12th:

Just another day of intensive language class, nothing too exciting happened. I was busy studying and preparing for my first test, which was the next day (Friday).

Friday, January 13th:

Had my first test today! I went really well, at least I think and hope. After class, CIEE had scheduled a walking tour of the Catedral & Giralda. It is the third largest catholic church in the world, following the Vatican and St. Peter’s Basilica. It took over one hundred years to complete and when it was finished in the 15th century it surpassed the Hagia Sophia in size. The Giralda is the tower connected to the Catedral. We were able to climb to the top which has a 360 degree view of the entire city. Later that night I went out with some friends for tapas!


El Cathedral

Saturday, January 14th:

So it’s official, I’ve made it through one week in Spain! I had a super relaxing day. I studied and hung out with my host family. Later that evening I met friends for tapas!


Sunday, January 15th:

Another relaxing day, nothing too exciting happened. Part of my family went to the beach for the day while the son and I stayed home to study. We went and grabbed lunch at this really yummy Italian restaurant. I had a composition due for class the next day so I grabbed coffee with a friend and worked on it at the coffee shop. Nothing beats studying at a coffee shop in Spain!

No comments:

Post a Comment