Monday, January 23, 2017

Week 2: More Intensive Spanish, Activities, and Exploring Córdaba

Monday, January 16th

This is my last week of intensive Spanish. Besides having to wake up super early, I will truly miss this class and my professor. I have learned so much in two weeks! My professor makes the three hours of class enjoyable and is so helpful as well. After class, I went home and had lunch and then met up with friends for chocolate con churros, which are seriously so yummy and addicting. After we went across the street to the mall to do some shopping. Pretty easy and relaxing Monday!

Tuesday, January 17th

Today was filled with a lot of different activities. I had class, as usual, from 9am-12pm. We had a session after class to set our goals for the semester. After I had lunch with friends on the patio on the top floor of the CIEE building. My host mom made me a bocadillo (packed lunch/sandwich) because during the normal Spanish lunch hour (around 3pm) I had a tour of the local palace Alcazar. 

Alcazar was built by Muslims who occupied Spain in the centuries prior to the Catholics conquering Spain in 1492. The palace is a mix of Arab and European architecture and style. The current king and royal family of Spain still use this palace when the visit Sevilla! The king’s sister-in-law (or something like that) had her wedding at the Caterdral (the one I visited last week) and then had the reception at the Alcazar right across the street. The Alcazar also has beautiful gardens with peacocks, which I now have a small fear of because as we were taking pictures of them they started to circle us. It was really freaky.

After the tour, I, as always, grabbed coffee with friends! I’ll probably need to start cutting back soon…but coffee’s a necessity so…probably won’t.


Peacocks in the garden at Alcazar

Wednesday, January 18th

Today was pretty typical. I had class and then after my professor took us to get tapas to practice ordering food in Spanish! I think it went pretty well! I ordered a small plate of croquetas (one of my favorite Spanish tapas).

Later that evening my host sister and I (along with my host dad’s supervision and help) made torditas, which are crepes. I have never made them before but that’s going to change in the future because they were amazing and super easy to make.

Thursday, January 19th

Second to last day of intensive session Spanish classes! I’m really going to miss this class and professor. We have our last exam tomorrow, which I think might be really hard…I’m hoping with enough studying tonight it will be fine. I’ve been doing really well in the class so I’m hoping everything will work out and I’ll receive a good grade! This afternoon I went with friends to get coffee and to study. It was super cloudy all day and it even rained (okay sprinkled) a little bit which is super unusual for Sevilla.

Friday, January 20th

Today was my last day of intensive Spanish classes! I had my last test and I think it went pretty well! Later that evening my friends and I took a tapas cooking class where we learned to make two typical Spanish dishes: Salmorejo and Tortilla de Patatas. It was so much fun!


All four group's tapas, my group is closest to the bottom of the picture

Saturday, January 21st

Today I participated in a trip to Cordoba with CIEE. We left Sevilla at 9am and spent the entire day in Cordoba leaving around 4pm and arriving back to Sevilla at 6pm. I'll do a whole post on Cordoba with pictures so look out for that later this week.
Sunday, January 22nd

My host family and I went hiking at a location about 20 miles outside of Sevilla. My host brother said we hiked about 13 kilometers which I think is equivalent to 7-8miles of so, but I could be totally off. Needless to say, it was a really really long and busy weekend so later that evening I took a well deserved two-hour siesta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment